Sunday, February 17, 2008

Purpose or pleasure?


I see them all the time around Lake Michigan; huge, beautiful, insanely expensive yachts sitting quietly with their sails furled- the owners sipping margaritas and catching a few rays.

Maybe they were inspired by Jimmy Buffet- the voice of all things pleasurable from cheeseburgers in paradise to wasting away in margaritaville.

But I can only scratch my head and wonder how one can be content to sit at anchor when one has a yacht capable of sailing around the world.

We're not much different though, I guess. We've been given the Holy Spirit- able and willing to lead us on a world class adventure but most of settle for swinging around the anchor rope aimlessly; watching the world go by.

I'm ready to hoist my sails and see where the Spirit of God takes me- to follow the wind and find God's purpose for my life. I think I've had enough of cheeseburgers and margaritas for the time being. How about you? At least that's the way Boompa sees it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Steve, this may be my favorite entry so far! And I've liked quite a few of them! :) This one just really speaks to where God has my husband and me right now...thanks for sharing!!

Candace C (FIAR boards)

Rachel said...

I love the call to pull up anchor! Scary, but wildly thrilling!

*Heather said...

Beautiful thoughts and a beautiful picture! :)

Lynn Hasty said...

Boompa, I'm enjoying dropping in and reading your thoughts. Just wanted to let you know. ~:-D

Lynn