Monday, March 31, 2008

If Only I Could Get My Father's Attention













New babies are amazing, aren't they? There's absolutely nothing they can do to help themselves or to try to impress us. And yet as a new parent or grandparent we love them so much it almost makes our heart ache sometimes.

I think that's how it is between us and the Lord, don't you? He's crazy-in-love with us not because of how much we do for Him or how "spiritually mature" we are or even because of how much we love Him. He just loves us because we "are".

So then why are we always so busy; busy trying to get His attention, earn His affection, win His favor? Why do we insist on always trying to "do something" for God? Why can't we just rest in the knowledge that He loves us, died for us and can't stop thinking about us?

In a book I read recently the author suggested that we would do well to simply learn to abide in His presence without any agenda. We can't impress Him and we can't make Him love us any more than He already does. If He is truly the vine and we're the branches then simply "being" connected to Him is our highest accomplishment. If He was wanting us to be perpetually achieving great things on His behalf we would be called "human doings" instead of "human beings" according to that author.

I agree. I'm tired of doing and I just need to learn to be. At least, that's how Boompa sees it.

5 comments:

*Heather said...

Love this Steve and so very true on us just needing to learn to just "be" in His presence. Thanks so much for sharing...always need to be reminded of this and it never seems to be enough!

wordygirl said...

To paraphrase one of my favorite bands "Let us be, let us be, let us be, let us be...speaking words of wisdom, let us be"

thatmom said...

Steve, I just listened to your interview on the Peoria radio station and linked to it on my blog. In this article you talk about God's relationship with us and in the interview you share the importance of having that same kind of relationship with our children. Thank you for speaking the truth. Blessings to you,

Karen Campbell

deleise said...

I needed that today, Steve. Thank you.

Wendy said...

"Be still and know that I am God." This is my favorite verse to recall when I feel frantic at doing, doing, doing. I just started doing the bible study Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World and your post hits on that very thing, learning to be at the feet of Jesus in the midst of our daily responsibilities.