Monday, January 28, 2008

A Good Shepherd's Dog

Meet Mudge. He's my Australian shepherd. In this photo he was just a few months old. He turns two this month.

That's a pretty typical pose for Mudge- waiting patiently and watching alertly for any signal from me that somethings' up.

If I move, Mudge moves. If I sit in a chair, Mudge sits at my feet. If I go into the other room, Mudge walks at my feet. If I lie down on the bed... well... yes, Mudge jumps up on the corner of the bed and sleeps at my feet.

I know some of you aren't "dog people." But that's not the point. The point is this. Mudge was bread to work in partnership with a good shepherd-- sitting patiently and waiting until he sees the shepherd make a move. Then he's "all in" for the duration until the sheperd sits down and then a good shepherd's dog lies down beside him and waits... indefinitely.

We serve not just a good shepherd, but rather The Good Shepherd. Would that I were more like Mudge- willing to simply sit at His feet for as long as need be; willing to wait patiently on His next move- then eagerly throwing myself "all in" to whatever I see the Good Shepherd doing. Never moving unless The Good Shepherd is moving, but never lagging behind once The Good Shepherd shows me what to do next- that's how I want to be.

Lord, give me the patience to not run ahead of you, not take on battles that you're not fighting and to keep my mouth shut when you're not speaking. Lord, give me the desire to simply sit at your feet until you move. And then Lord, cause me to run with all that I am until your good will has been accomplished- then lead me to sit at your feet once more. Amen.

That's what I need to become. At least that's the way Boompa sees it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve, I am really enjoying your blog. Thank you so much for being willing to share (in yet another avenue!) all of your wisdom and insight with us! What a blessing!

Love,
Candace C (FIAR boards)
www.homeschoolblogger.com/CandaceC

*Heather said...

Pulling at my heartstrings this morning being the dog lover I am! I have a dog like this as well and he follows me everywhere no matter what I do! I honestly never looked at it like you put it today and I love how you did..thanks so much for sharing! :)

Red Rooster said...

I am loving this blog, as well. I love the way you put these truths into words for us. Your insights are a blessing

Christi in VA

Heather said...

Just one question...do you all enjoy Henry and Mudge? A great series about a boy and his dog. Sounds like you two could have been the inspiration.

Heather W